Pakistan: Federal Information Minister Attaullah Tarar said Saturday that the government had fully complied with the Supreme Court’s directives regarding the medical examination of jailed Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) founder Imran Khan, while accusing his family and party supporters of contempt of court.
Addressing a press conference in Islamabad, Tarar said health-related matters should not be politicised and maintained that Imran’s medical treatment had never been stopped.
His remarks came a day after Imran was shifted to the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (Pims) for a medical examination before being returned to Adiala Jail.
The Supreme Court’s August 18 order had directed authorities to transfer the former prime minister to Shifa International Hospital for a medical examination. According to Tarar, Imran was instead taken to Pims, where doctors from Shifa International Hospital were also present.
Tarar said the authorities had implemented the court’s directions in accordance with the Constitution and law and fulfilled all requirements set out in the order.
He said Imran’s examination was conducted in the presence of his sister and doctors. Quoting what he described as an initial medical report, the minister said the PTI founder was in good health.
Tarar also rejected allegations that the government had denied Imran medical treatment, saying his treatment had continued throughout his imprisonment.
Why did the government accuse PTI of contempt?
Tarar’s comments came after PTI filed a contempt petition in the Supreme Court, alleging that the government’s handling of Imran’s hospital transfer violated the court’s order.
The information minister described the petition as “baseless” and said the government had questioned in its review petition whether similar medical facilities were available to other prisoners.
He also accused Imran’s family and PTI supporters of violating the court’s directions by gathering outside Shifa International Hospital.
Tarar said the Supreme Court had clearly directed that political statements should not be made in connection with Imran’s health and argued that the gathering created a security risk.
PTI Secretary-General Salman Akram Raja rejected the government’s position, saying the party had taken a legal rather than political route over the issue.
Speaking on Geo News programme Naya Pakistan, Raja said the Supreme Court’s order had been violated. He also said there had been no security issue and clarified that the contempt petition had been filed by Imran’s sister, Dr Uzma, rather than by the party.
Govt, PTI maintain opposing positions
Minister of State for Interior Talal Chaudhry also said Imran was in good health and receiving medical attention while in jail.
Chaudhry said Imran was examined three times a day and that authorities could transfer him to hospital whenever medically necessary without requiring a court order.
He accused PTI of attempting to gain public sympathy through the controversy and said those who gathered outside the hospital had committed contempt of court.
The dispute has intensified a political and legal confrontation over the treatment and medical access of Imran Khan, with the government maintaining that it followed the Supreme Court’s directives while PTI insists that the court’s order was not properly implemented.
