MYANMAR: Myanmar’s military-backed government has verified 308,797 displaced people in Bangladesh as former residents of Rakhine State, but said their repatriation cannot begin until security conditions in the conflict-affected region improve. The figures were released by Myanmar’s foreign ministry after it reviewed 828,824 names submitted by Bangladesh as of July 31, 2026.
More than 700,000 Rohingya fled to Bangladesh in 2017 following a military crackdown in Myanmar, according to the United Nations. Thousands more have continued to leave Myanmar in recent years through dangerous land and sea routes as violence and insecurity persist in Rakhine State.
Myanmar said 4,241 people on Bangladesh’s repatriation list had been identified as allegedly involved in terrorist activities, while another 113,507 individuals could not be verified.
Conflict in Rakhine Delays Repatriation
Myanmar said repatriation would proceed only after security conditions in Rakhine State become more stable. The military is fighting the Arakan Army, an ethnic armed group seeking greater autonomy in the region, making the prospects for a large-scale return uncertain.
The government also described repatriation as a bilateral matter between Myanmar and Bangladesh. Previous arrangements in 2018 and 2019 failed to result in any returns despite preparations by both countries.
Myanmar has also agreed to accept 5,000 Rohingya asylum seekers from Malaysia. However, Malaysia has said the repatriation will not proceed if returning refugees face risks to their lives, adding another obstacle to efforts to address the wider Rohingya displacement crisis.
